Shifters, sometimes called “the weretouched,” are descended from humans and natural lycanthropes, now nearly extinct on Khorvaire. Shifters cannot fully change shape but can take on animalistic features—a state they call shifting. Shifters have evolved into a unique race that breeds true. They have a distinct culture with its own traditions and identity.
SHIFTER RACIAL TRAITS
- Shapechanger Subtype: Shifters are humanoids with the shapechanger subtype.
- +2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence Shifters are lithe and agile, but their fundamental bestial nature detracts from their reasoning ability.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, shifters have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Shifter base land speed is 30 feet.
- Shifting: though related to and developed from lycanthropy, is neither an aff liction nor a curse. It is not passed on by bite or claw attacks, and a shifter can’t be cured—shifting is a natural ability for the race.
- Low-Light Vision: Shifters can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Shifting (Su): A shifter can tap into her lycanthropic heritage to gain short bursts of physical power. Once per day, a shifter can enter a state that is superficially similar to a barbarian’s rage. During the shift, it provides a +2 bonus to one of the character’s physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution). Shifting is a free action and lasts for a number of minutes equal to 3 + the shifter’s Con modifier. (If a shifter trait or other effect increases the character’s Con modifier, use the newly improved modifier.) A shifter can take feats to improve this ability. For every two shifter feats a character takes, the number of times per day she can tap into the ability increases by one. So, a character with two shifter feats can shift two times per day.
Shifters Traits (Su): A shifters trait is selected below when shifting:
- Beasthide (Su): While shifting, a beasthide shifter gains a +2 bonus to Constitution and natural armor that provides a +1 bonus to AC.
- Catwalk (Su): While shifting, a catwalk shifter gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity and has a climb speed of 20 feet.
- Longtooth (Su): While shifting, a longtooth shifter gains a +2 bonus to Strength and grows fangs that can be used as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 (20 x3) points of damage plus strength with a successful bite attack. She cannot attack more than once per round with her bite, even if her base attack bonus is high enough to give her multiple attacks. She can use her bite as a secondary attack (taking a –5 penalty on her attack roll) while wielding a weapon.
- Razorclaw (Su): While shifting, a razorclaw shifter gains a +2 bonus to Strength and grows claws that can be used as natural weapons. These claws deal 1d6 (19-20 x2) points of damage with each successful attack. She can attack with one claw as a standard action or with two claws as a full attack action (as a primary natural weapon,must possess two weapon fighting feat). She can not attack more than once per round with a single claw, even if her base attack bonus is high enough to give her multiple attacks. She can attack with a claw as a light off-hand weapon while wielding a weapon in her primary hand, if she possesses the two weapon fighting feat.
- Longstride (Su): While shifting, a longstride shifter gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity and a bonus of +10 feet to her base land speed.
- Wildhunt (Su): While shifting, a wildhunt shifter gains a +2 bonus to Constitution and the scent ability(30 feet). When a wildhunt shifter detects a scent, the exact location of the source isn’t revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The shifter can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever the shifter comes within 5 feet of the source, she pinpoints the source’s location.